Wednesday 2 November 2005

I say fascist, you say "conservative" / Political Asylum

TMF: I say fascist, you say "conservative" / Political Asylum

Author: sacca
Subject: I say fascist, you say "conservative" Date: 10/5/05 12:50 AM

Recommendations: 163

Just read this and you will see that I am not using hyperbole when I compare American conservatives with fascists -- they really deserve the "American Taliban" label.

UFB. Simply UFB. WTF happened to these people? How did they infest America and why do they hate freedom?

This is from an upcoming article in the Indianapolis magazine NUVO:

"Republican lawmakers are drafting new legislation that will make
marriage a requirement for motherhood in the state of Indiana,
including specific criminal penalties for unmarried women who do
become pregnant "by means other than sexual intercourse."

According to a draft of the recommended change in state law, every
woman in Indiana seeking to become a mother through assisted
reproduction therapy such as in vitro fertilization, sperm donation,
and egg donation, must first file for a "petition for parentage" in their local county probate court.

Only women who are married will be considered for the "gestational
certificate" that must be presented to any doctor who facilitates the pregnancy. Further, the "gestational certificate" will only be given to married couples that successfully complete the same screening
process currently required by law of adoptive parents.

As it the draft of the new law reads now, an intended parent "who
knowingly or willingly participates in an artificial reproduction
procedure" without court approval, "commits unauthorized
reproduction, a Class B misdemeanor." The criminal charges will be
the same for physicians who commit "unauthorized practice of
artificial reproduction."

"Petition for parenthood"?

"Gestational certificate"?

"Unauthorized reproduction"?

Yes, Amerika, this is your Republican Party, now issuing "gestational certificates". What is this, The Handmaid's Tale coming to you live in Indiana?

Sick, sick, sick. I weep for America under the Republo-fascist rule.
------------------------------------------

Author: khalou Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore)
Number: of 839915
Subject: The BIGGEST reason I turned against Bush Date: 8/10/05 10:17 PM



Recommendations: 162
I remember clearly supporting our efforts towards Iraq. Ossama was in the bag, the world was on our side, and everyone was just another American practically globally. 911 had been a catalyst against terrorism- one that finally brought even those who'd been formerly pretty much safe against that sort of thing. "If they'll do that to America, they'll do it to us in a second."

I remember the troops massing on the border of Iraq, waiting for the timetable of invasion to count down to Armageddon.

Then, Hans Blix said what I thought was no surprise to anyone. He said that Saddam was cooperating and that the inspectors were allowed to go wherever they wanted.

Good, I thought. Now we'll find stuff and destroy it. Saddam has already been reminded of who got him to where he was and who can keep him there (and who could take him out).

There was more from Blix. He wasn't finding anything. He was saying that there wasn't anything to be found and that he was certain that he was right according to his, and his expert's experience in these things. Saddam had been playing a game.

Bush stated that he would invade soon and suggested that the inspectors leave immediately. I supposed that this was a good idea- just to show Saddam that he couldn't just allow these inspections for a time, but needed to continue to allow them as free as they'd been.

I was wrong.

Bush wanted the inspectors out before they made their report. It wouldn't have taken long to conclude there were no WMDs or WND programs in Iraq.

But what then? Bush wouldn't have gotten his invasion. At the time, the only reason for doing so was the UN sanctions. Saddam was cooperating with the inspections (horror of horrors). Saddam probably thought that the jig was up and he had to allow the world to know that he didn't really have what he'd formerly wanted them to believe he had.

But he'd dealt with us for so many years, he didn't understand that our new president wasn't interested in "global cooperation" or "the truth". Bush wanted his invasion for reasons that are obvious in the pages of the PNAC website. Too bad Saddam wasn't aware of the Defense Policy Document that had been written in 1992 by a group headed by Chaney and many of those currently holding positions in the administration. They wanted to invade Iraq then, in order to base America's global military control. They knew back then that it would take a "Pearl Harbor" like incident to make it all happen at once, but had contingency plans. 911 provided that incident, just barely, but enough.

I found this document almost as soon as I'd realized that Bush's publicized intentions didn't match his actions.

Wow, I thought. These people wrote this script over a decade before they acted it out.

I didn't worry though. I knew this stuff was readily available and if an avowed conservative like me could see what was happening, it couldn't really amount to much. These people couldn't possibly fool people for as long as they would need to.

So here we are. I've learned a lot about people and what a fleeting notion the truth could be.

Small hint along the way- When Halliburton was heralded as the company that a dishonest Bush would give a non-competitive contract to regarding the rebuilding of Iraq and the oil infrastructure, the immediate response was that it was another company that would do these things. The heat died down and some people realized that the company that was awarded the contract was a subsidiary of- you guessed it- Halliburton! By that time, though, it was old news and new lies were coming out.

Nowadays, no one remembers that controversy. No one remembers the controversy about the aluminum tubes, or the Nigerian yellow cake, or the IAEA reports or any of the other lies because other things have become more important.

My opinion has suddenly become a non-support of the troops, an America hating, a terrorist-loving, communistic stance.

Meanwhile, Blix was right. I was right. Our nuclear experts were right. Our intelligence agencies were right. The IAEA was right. The world was right.

Being right, however, buys you only personal satisfaction these days.

Bush supporters are right even when they're wrong.
--------------------
Author: Goofyhoofy Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore)
Number: of 839916
Subject: Re: 9/11 Widow's letter to NY Times re: Newsweek Date: 5/18/05 12:08 PM


Recommendations: 161
The left didn't like it when Bush went ahead with Iraq and is now doing everything in its power to screw things up.

This sound very much like the Vietnam non-apologia I hear about from time to time. So I wonder...

What is it that's in my power?

Am I the one setting off car bombs on Baghdad streets? Am I fomenting violence somehow in the hills of Afghanistan? Do I have something to do with the treatment of prisoners at Gitmo? Was I the one holding the leash at Abu Girab?

What is it that's in my power?

Are the insurgents reading my posts on the Motley Fool board and pointing them out to the Sunni's at the 3:00 prayer? Am I the one putting our soldiers in unarmored humvees and telling them to "run some supplies a few miles down the road"? Do I have something to do with the fall-off of enlistments for the military?

What the hell is it that's "in my power"?

Did I have anything to do with manufacturing evidence to take the country to war on false premises? Is it my writings that have influenced nearly the entire world to oppose us in this war? Did I show up time and again on Fox News exhorting our politicians to call the UN a bunch of wimps, and to ignore the inspectors for the weapons of mass destruction?

Just what do you think it is that's "in my power"?

If I don't express my opinion, do you really think the insurgency will calm down? If the New York Times stopped publishing tomorrow, would the Sunni's stop attacking oil pipelines and water supplies? If Hochizen stopped writing "George Bush is the worst President in the history of the universe" ever again, would the rest of the world suddenly start respecting us?

I am beside myself with wonder, agape at what you think is "in my power".

I can do nothing. I didn't vote for this dope and his band of dopes. I don't want to see a complete jerkwad as our Ambassador to the United Nations. I can't imagine that Donald Rumsfeld has learned exactly nothing from his "fast race" to Baghdad but failure to secure the countryside on the way. I am shocked that no one will hold this administration responsible for the implosion of American prestige throughout the world, and for demonstrating so clearly what our military can not do.

I'm afraid the only thing that's in my power is to try to demonstrate these idiots for what they are: people who have turned the greatest country in the world into the Mr. Magoo of foreign affairs, and who show no signs of cleaning their lenses and trying to improve things any time soon.

Curiously, it would be in YOUR power, if you would recognize that by your blind support you enable these cretins, but you are happy to believe the lies you are told, that "we've turned a corner", and that somehow I have some way to make this all "get good" if only I would stop expressing my opinion.
 --------------

Author: luv2earn Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore)
Number: of 839917
Subject: Bye sky & click & Mish & Date: 11/3/04 1:52 AM


Recommendations: 160
others who really made it enjoyable to come here the last few months (or whatever it's been). I actually like Abba for some reason. $;)
This is a really friendly and fun board overall.

I said after tonight I was done here and I am. Maybe back to say hi now and then, but it's time to walk away and say it was a good fight but we apparently lost.

Four years ago I cast a hopeful vote for George W. Bush. I was and am a conservative as defined by some of my stands: anti-abortion being the main one. George said he was a uniter, he said he was for small government, against nation building; all things I wanted to hear because I was really tired of the bickering and mudslinging from both sides over Clinton, all the partisanship, and thought he was someone who would work with both sides in a moderate agenda.

Boy, what a surprise. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. So, when the rumblings started about Iraq after 9/11, I began to get nervous. The rest is history. The last two years have been an intense time of doing everything possible, on and offline, to get the message across that this war was nothing more than the start of the PNAC's agenda.

Fast forward. No regrets. Sorry he won. Think the country will continue to deteriorate morally and in the eyes of the world and that he will now let loose with the full NeoCon agenda.

As for me, I'm moving out of the political turmoil. My Norwegian grandma always said "Do your best and don't worry about it." That's what I've done and I won't worry about it. I'll sleep real well. Everytime I hear about another 30 or 40 Iraqis dying per day/week (thousands and thousands per year) because we invaded their country, I'll feel just bleep awful, but at least not guilty. When I hear of the next 1000 US servicepeople dying, I'll feel so sad, but at least not guilty. When another million people become jobless, I'll feel bad for them, but not guilty. When we invade the next country, I'll feel good that it wasn't because I voted for a warmongering, imperialistic administration. When the terror alerts go up and down (I almost wonder if they'll keep those silly things up now that they don't have to scare us anymore), I'll know it's no big deal and go on with my day as I always have anyway, knowing it was all a big snow job. Like colored alerts change anything or anyone knows what the heck to do about them.

I'm relieved it's over. In my heart of hearts I hoped Kerry would win and thought he had a chance and he did.

There is a big world out here and no more late nights searching for more information to share on the PNAC, the Bush family's ties to the Saudi royal family and the oil business, no more digging for details that most Americans apparently didn't give a care about anyway (like Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo and the fact that no one has been charged) and that the administration prays they never know...that's all over for me. I'm walking away knowing I did my best, even nights when I could hardly stay awake.

On with life. Life is bigger than George W. Bush. The world is bigger than what is becoming of America. But I really do hate what the NeoCons are doing to our beautiful country we all have so much love and passion for.

To all of you who support Bush. I feel sorry for you because I really believe that, some day, you will wonder what made you vote for this man. And, when that happens, it may be too late to undo the damage. I'm not angry with you or bitter. I'm just disappointed.

Please, though, do some of us a huge favor. Don't use God or Jesus to validate pre-emptive strikes and other things that have nothing to do with God or Jesus. Just call it like it is: America's leader and a small majority of America's citizens are putting themselves above everything and everyone else on the face of the earth. I can still see Bush at the fund-raiser, looking at the crowd and saying that the rich and the super rich were his people. They pulled it off; amazing but they did, the whole thing.

Maybe see you now and then.
----------------
Author: anniesdad Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore)
Number: of 839922
Subject: Re: Kerry: "F*** the Army" Date: 10/30/04 7:40 PM

Recommendations: 164
a kind of reverse USO tour designed to undermine the morale of U.S. soldiers fighting in the jungles of Southeast Asia.

Lets get something straight right here and now. By 1970 there wasn't any morale to undermine. Every grunt who humped a ruck knew that they were just calling forth the abyss. This was madness, it was 400 body bags a week. You could have called a mass formation of every man there and asked who wanted to leave right now and there would have been the greatest mass exodus since the Irish potato famine. Even the West Point ring knockers would have had sense to leave.

Let me tell you something buddy, that place was a first rate meat grinder, fought for the most part by blacks ,hispanics and poor whites who didn't know how to get out of the way of a geopolitical train wreck.
Bring the troops home, damn straight.
FTA

Scott McAleer (SSG)
Bco, 1st Bn, 16Inf
Lai Khe, RVN
---------------


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home