Thursday 24 November 2005

Naafa And Fat!so? - Objectivism Online Forum

Naafa And Fat!so? - Objectivism Online Forum
Er, quite off topic.

for #1: Who says you have to give up anything altogether, much less permanently? Without turning this into a diet-strategy thread, you can reduce portion sizes and not give up any given food. Unless you meant satiety itself...

for #2: Personally, I hate aerobics and never engage in it. http://www.mikementzer.com/aerobic.html thumbsup.gif

Anyhow, none of that has anything to do with fat litigation, fat "I can't help it" rationalizations, or "fat is beautiful" advocates, which are the subjects of the article and thread.

--------------------
Ecology as a social principle . . . . condemns cities, culture, industry, technology, the intellect, and advocates men's return to "nature," to the state of grunting subanimals digging the soil with their bare hands.

Make no mistake about it: it is technology and progress that the nature-lovers are out to destroy.

Television has brought more enjoyment into more lives than all the public parks and settlement houses combined.

[Ayn Rand, The Ayn Rand Letter, and The Return of the Primitive]
(For more of Ayn Rand on Environmentalism, see HERE
)
====================
Felix
post Nov 13 2005, 03:53 PM

On-Topic:
Hmm.. I wonder if these Fat!So?- guys understand how self-contradictory their statements are. Either being fat is beautiful, then: What's the problem? Or being fat is bad and caused by genetics, then they just have bad luck. Or it is bad and caused by the diet industy or the fast-food industry, but this is not valid since they have free will. Gee, this is just weird!

This reminds me of something:
I just helped my little sister with her homework about lactose-intolerance. This made me suggest a club where people fight for more lactose-tolerance, since lactose is being socially suppressed. She just gave me that look again. biggrin.gif
==============
Dan Bidewell
post Today, 08:41 AM


However, it is not caused primarily by an incorrect 'make vs. buy" decision. I think it related more to what is bought.

The malaise is that we are all addicted to the myth of the quick-fix. As you you say, this may be more about what is bought, but that is still the malaise of the quick-fix. Rather than buying a chicken breast, an onion, a turnip, some potatoes and a little butter (or whatever else you need for some stew), people just get the easiest thing they can - a pizza or something. Convenience food is convenient food; it is all part of the quick fix.

Healthy convenience foods are not as readily and as cheaply available as simple ingredients which take time to cook and turn into food. That is the problem - people expect that they should be, and cannot accept that healthier food usually takes longer to prepare than dialling the pizza delivery man and opening the door to pay him. They cannot be bothered eating healthily and opt for the easier option.
-----------------
I feel like I'm prejudiced against obese people

1984
post Mar 12 2005, 04:37 PM


Name: Will



Since I was a kid I never really liked overweight people. As a kid I used to read my "Beano" comics which is from the UK and basically short stories about mischefis children. Anyway there was this one character called fatty and basically his role was the fat guy. He would eat a mountain of food and never excerise. In most other comics and cartoons, fat characters were similarly protrayed the same way.
To me obesity was always seen as a symbol of greed and laziness, even a symbol of opression like the fat emporer who has more than enough food while his nation's people are starving.
As a kid I've also been raised to feel grateful for what you have, I was always reminded about the state of third and second world nations and felt like I should stop making complaints and make the most of myself. This is also one of the main reasons why I dislike overweight people.
When I was 16 I was at a halloween party and my friend came up to me and told me that this girl wanted to go out with me. At the time I honestly thought he joking because she was really fat and ugly and therefore to me really unattractive.
.../ everyone tought it was ok for her to look at me and say she's really attracted to me and really want to go out with me dispite the fact that she knows absolutly nothing about me, but it's not ok for me to look at her and say she's unattractive, so I don't want to go out with her? I used to ask the same people "yeah well why shouldn't she lose the weight then?" they couldn't give an answer "why do you want her to stay fat then?". I couldn't see a reason why she shouldn't lose the weight so I couldn't see a reason why I should accept her for it. I didn't feel sympathetic for her becuase I felt like it was her own fault she was fat so why should I be the one who put up with it.
I know wemen are pressurised into looking attractive, but I think men can be pressured too. ...
I think the only people who do critise the media are really those who are unattractive and who therefore lose out by it. Most of them are hypocrites anyway, They make everyone feel bad for not going out with them because they're unattractive yet thet themselves only want to go out with people they find attractive.
... Likewise if a person chooses to eat an improper diet and not excercie enough, it's their problem-- if they're unfit and unattractive.
I do try to tolerate overweight people and try not to judge them for apperance too much, but I immediatly see a person who is greedy and lazy . Is this expectable or is it another form of discrimination like racism?



=======jjj-------------------
please donate to the pity-me-now! society

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home