Friday 28 October 2005

#6 Christian Intolerance [TMF blog spurt]

Dean's World: Christian Bashing: "Christian Bashing ::.

February 09, 2003

Christian Bashing

I remember watching the political conventions in 2000. I always watch as much of both the Democratic and Republican conventions as I can. At the Republican convention that year, an openly gay congressman got up to address the delegates. A smallish group of Christian Evangelicals who were also delegates to the convention stood together and bowed their heads to pray for him, because they considered his homosexuality sinful.

Commentators in the media virtually had conniptions at the show of 'intolerance.' All I could do was roll my eyes. Man, can you think of anything more awful than praying for someone? Gosh, what Nazis. Next it's concentration camps for sure!

I am often stunned at the sheer and unapologetic ferocity of verbal abuse spewn by many people at evangelical Christians. Even common terms like 'religious right' are loaded with the assumption that, somehow, if you're a devoted Christian and are even vaguely right-of-center in your politics, there's something sinister about you. But if someone verbalized that kind of withering criticism at a Jew, or a Buddhist, or a Hindu, or a Muslim, most people would be shocked and appalled.

I remember telling a friend of mine named Jeff that although I was baptized, I had long ago come to the conclusion that the Bible is not the inerrant Word of God, that it is a work written by men and often contradictes itself. I said, 'I suppose that makes me an apostate.' Jeff seemed to find that upsetting, although we didn't talk about it much.

A day or two later, I was with my friend Ed, and as we walked up to my car I noticed a note under the windshield wiper. It was from Jeff. It said, 'Dude, you are not an apostate. God loves you. Jeff.' I smiled, and showed it to Ed. Ed freaked out, and thought there was something sinister about the note. I was bemused. What on Earth is so awful about that? He's showing concern for me. Okay, "9.9% of Christians don't even let it get to the point where you have to say that.

So it was with some interest that I read an essay called Everybody Hates Us by evangelical minister Michael Spencer. I frankly think he's too tough on his faith. I've encountered the sort of Christian he talks about, but it's been my experience that they are a distinct minority. I also think he may miss the influence of fairly shady characters who work as televangelists, who may influence perceptions more than everyday Christians do.

Still, it is an interesting essay, and perhaps some Christians could learn from its message. At the same time, though, I like to go out of my way to remind people: Bigotry really is bigotry, and prejudice is prejudice. That goes for Christians as well as anyone else.

And I encourage people to remember: when a Christian wants to tell you about his faith, he's trying to do something nice for you. Just remember that, and keep it in mind, even if you should decide you're not interested. It's only part of their faith, and no one said you had to listen, or convert.
--------------
Discuss This Article!



The most effective evangelism, religious or otherwise, comes from the heart, not the head. As the old saying goes "A man, convinced against his will, is a man of the same opinion still."

Thanks for the great link to a wonderful article.
Posted by Tobacco Road Fogey on February 09, 2003 at 4:16 AM


I am an athiest. But the Christian Church has been a great comfort to my mama since my father died, and I sometimes envy her faith. She sings in the choir, goes on field trips with the "Ageless Wonders" and keeps a busy social schedule through the church.

There's not a Got-Damned thing wrong with that.
Posted by Acidman on February 09, 2003 at 7:23 AM


One of the entertaining aspects of being a liberal Protestant is that, in my experience, many anti-Christian bigots aren't even aware that liberal Protestantism exists. Thus, I am invisible on their radar screen. I've had many an entertaining hour, conversing with people who simply cannot wrap their minds around the fact that I'm a Christian but I'm not a fundamentalist. :-)

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to run through my sermon one last time, before the 9:00 service at St. John's next door.
Posted by Paul Burgess on February 09, 2003 at 9:13 AM


Oops! That's 9:00 Central time, Dean's blog runs on Eastern time...
Posted by Paul Burgess on February 09, 2003 at 9:16 AM
-----------/oops, i ex-WAS amused, methinks he said
"DEMs blogs run on EST, Hmmpht, much funnier/---



I'm reminded of the old saw about the son who killed his parents and then begged the court's mercy because he was an orphan.

The initiating act in your story was that a bunch of bigots decided to make a mockery of their 'religion' by 'praying' for someone who is gay.

We're all sinners, Dean. Yet, these bigots decided somehow this fact didn't warrant their prayers--only the gay guy does. Did they huddle in prayer for the soul of John McCain, who has been known, on numerous occasions, to covet his neighbor's wife. Did they quickly convene a 'prayer' group for virtually every GOP speaker who bore false witness? Did Laura Bush get prayers for violating the "shalt not kill" provisions?

Nope. Only the gay guy gets the treatment.

And the Good Book also admonishes those who would use prayer and piety for ostentacious displays.

Pointing out hypocrisy isn't bigotry, Dean.
Posted by Guy Cabot on February 09, 2003 at 11:04 AM
--------------------
//////////////


Dean:

I don't care if Christians pray openly for gay people, but when they do it at a political convention, the implication is, well, unmistakable: religious fervor is creeping into the highest level of government policy making.

And that is wrong.

When John Ashcroft says "we" have no King but Jesus, that doesn't sit well with me for a variety of reasons, most of which I won't go into right now.

I understand that the evangelists' mandate is to preach the Gospel to everyone. I understand that Ascroft's religion is important to him.

Aschcroft believes (as do all truly born again Christians) that unless you receive Jesus as your savior, you will be cast into the pits of Hell for eternity.

If you believe it, that's fine for you. I happen to find it objectionable, but then again I'm not a Christian.

So, fine for those who buy it.

What's most definitely not fine is when intense adherence to this kind of religious fervor worms its way into the highest levels of government and policy is set according to it.

Me, going to hell, if I don't accept Jesus? What's next? Me going to Hell if I don't vote Republican?

Posted by Ara Rubyan on February 09, 2003 at 12:05 PM

////////////
this is good seeming.. but go there, i'll changing my channel, now
http://www.deanesmay.com/archives/000773.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home